Mandatory evacuation of 13,000 Filipinos from Libya ensues
by, Ivy Saunar | Solar News
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) confirmed on Monday (July 21) that a Filipino construction worker in Libya has been beheaded supposedly for being a non-Muslim.
DFA spokesperson Charles Jose said the victim was forcefully taken on July 15 when militants found out that he was a Christian.
Jose added the militants even tried to ask for ransom amounting to about $160,000 or nearly P7 million.
But when the employer of the Filipino worker negotiated with the militants, the abductors referred the company to a hospital in Benghazi instead.
It was only Sunday (July 20) when it was discovered that the Filipino had already been beheaded and the remains were already in an advanced stage of decomposition at the hospital.
The DFA declined to disclose the identity of the victim but had already informed his family about the incident.
Libya is under DFA’s Alert Level 4 entailing a mandatory evacuation for 13,000 Filipinos due to the country’s extremely unstable political and security situation.
Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) confirmed that a Filipino worker was abducted and beheaded in Libya. DFA asks Overseas Foreign Workers (OFW’s) in Libya to go home immediately.
Video courtesy of: ABS-CBN News
– – –
Filipina Nurse Abducted and Gang-Raped by Muslims in Libya
Video courtesy of: ABS-CBN News
A Filipino nurse has been kidnapped and gang-raped in the Libyan capital of Tripoli.
The woman was seized outside her residence on Wednesday and taken to an unknown location, where she was sexually abused by up to six men, the Philippines’ Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose told reporters.
She was released about two hours later and taken to hospital for treatment.
The incident took place only a few days after a Filipino construction worker was beheaded, amid allegations he was killed for not being a Muslim.
Following the latest incident, the Filipino government called for the evacuation of its 13,000 citizens in Libya, which has been rocked by violence in the last few months.
“We reiterate our call to our remaining nationals in Libya to immediately get in touch with the Philippine embassy in Tripoli and register for repatriation,” said a foreign department advisory note issued on Thursday.
Libyan rebels have been fighting against government forces over the control of oil production. Therebels seized several ports last year and threatened to start selling oil independently unless they obtain a greater share of oil revenues and autonomy from Tripoli.
Libya’s government called for international help after some oil storage tanks were set on fire in July.
The fire was started after one of the tanks was hit by a rocket. The state-owned National Oil Corp (NOC) warned of the possibility of an environmental disaster.
A few days later, militiamen took control of a key special forces base in Benghazi after a battle that killed at least 38 people.
Shortly after, the extremists declared Benghazi an “Islamic Emirate”, claiming total control of the city.
The Libyan government has been struggling to contain the rebels’ insurgence since leader Muammar Gaddafi was toppled in 2011.
source (1st article)
source (2nd article)