Police officers and an ambulance stand outside an Islamic Cultural Centre that was searched in Bremen, Germany.
“The mosques are our barracks, the domes our helmets, the minarets our bayonets, and the faithful our soldiers”
— Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, quoting a famous Islamic poem.
MAINZ, Germany — German investigators have raided an Islamic cultural center after receiving intelligence that a group of four, possibly-armed foreign nationals tried to meet arms dealers, officials told NBC News on Friday.
The raid in the northern city of Bremen last Saturday was part of a wider terror alert issued by local officials across the city. Police said in a statement a day later that there had been a “danger of a terrorist attack.”
Video courtesy of: wochit General News
German news magazine FOCUS reported Friday that the raid was prompted by a “heavily-armed four-man terror commando [cell] from France” attempting to make contact with local Islamists. The alert was downgraded Tuesday after two suspects were arrested but later released and no weapons were found at the cultural center. Officials did not provide any more information concerning the four foreign nationals mentioned Friday.
Silke Noltensmeier, spokeswoman for the Bremen prosecutor’s office, confirmed that the raid “followed information from intelligence services that a foreign group of four, possibly armed, were believed to have tried to meet up with two arms dealers in the city.” The Paris prosecutor’s office said it was not aware of any French involvement in the suspected plot and said it had not been contacted by German authorities.
Meanwhile, Germany’s interior minister Thomas de Maizière told Germany’s public broadcaster ZDF Thursday night that the number of jihadis who have traveled from Germany to Iraq and Syria stood at 650, putting the country in the same league as other European countries. At the end of last year that number was 600, according to Germany’s domestic intelligence agency.
– – –
‘Online Focus’ in Deutschland Reports:
(Translated from German)
Heavily armed radicals
4-headed team from France: Risk of terrorism in Bremen was higher than known
After an authority warning last weekend a large anti-terror operation was initiated in Bremen.
The threat was obviously more concretely than accepted. According to FOCUS-Information a French IS-Command has crept in and got in touch with local radicals.
Warning of an attack in Bremen concretely than accepted till now
4 French IS-fighter smuggle themselves to Bremen at the end of February
German islamists fool authorities
The warning for a possible attack in Bremen were more concretely than known till now. From the news magazine FOCUS present Investigation files is known, that a heavily armed 4-headed team from France should have infiltrated in Bremen islamist’s circles at the end of February.
The appropriately known Bremen radical Mohamed M. should have contacted this group on the 26th of February. The north german authority were warned, because the Lebanese M. aged 39 should have bought 60 automatic pistols by a arms dealer supposed over the Lebanese Miri-Clan, which is a big part in the organized crime in Bremen. According to the investigations, Mohamed M. should have given the weapons to the guests of the Islamic centre (IKZ) in Bremen.
German islamists fool authorities
The raid in the Islamic centre was without a result, also there is no trace from the 4-headed team. However the internal security is keeping the suggestions from divers sources for valid, that they are looking for a possible arms depot. Furthermore after the attack from Paris with 17 dead person in January it is reveal that there are more blatant security holes, in order to control the german fighter from the terror-miliz “Islamic state” (IS). According to the research from FOCUS the IS-fighter Mustafa C. (27) from Mönchengaldbach fooled the North Rhine-Westphalia authority again. According to Federal Prosecutor’s Office the in Turkey born Mustafa rised in 2013 to the acting commander of a „fight group IS of the Germans“.
According to the statement of an ex-companion he boasted of his war experiences. “Mustafa performed Dawa work (Spiritual propaganda) within our group. He always glorified the martyr’s death.” For many years he was in frame of local internal security. However he managed twice, to travel from the battle zone to Germany and back.
Departure to Syria despite travel prohibition
His last stop dated from December 2013 to July 2014. Although the authority took away his passport and imposed a travel prohibition, the “holy warrior” purchased a new passport and came back to his combat unit to Syria in July 2014. Only two months later he travelled back to Germany. On the 20th January the Federal Prosecutor’s Office arrested him. Till today the federal prosecutor puzzle over the reason of the Germany stays of the extremist.
Similarly tricky operated the Düsseldorf IS-Milizionär Kerim Marc B. (22) who was arrested last Wednesday on the Düsseldorf Airport. At the beginning of 2014 he flew already once from Syria to Germany, to remove shell splinters in a hospital. German investigators followed him, to ensure the shell splinters as an evidence for his membership on IS. It seems that B. noticed his persecutor. He cancelled the operation und went back to his terror camp. It seems that he was not happy there. On Wednesday he came back. Since then he is in custody.