by, Leda Reynolds | Sunday Express
A total of 62 men have been snared by German police after smuggling themselves on to lorries heading on to ferries and freighters leaving Cuxhaven near Hamburg.
Holger Jureczko, a police spokesman, said most of the men were from Albania and Kosovo and they had been trying to climb the port’s fence.
Cuxhaven runs cargo ships to Immingham, Humberside, and ferry services to Harwich in Essex, raising fears that the port may become the next Calais.
Three Albanians who had reached Immingham on Monday were caught by border guards and placed on the next ferry back to Cuxhaven.
The new wave of migrants follows a warning that the stretch of coast along the east of England was vulnerable as a increasingly desperate migrants look for new ways to dodge border controls.
And Keith Vaz, Labour chairman of the Commons’ Home Affairs Select Committee, criticised Germany and called on the country to do more to track the one million migrants it had admitted last year.
He said: “Focusing on the main problem areas such as Calais leaves the smaller ports without adequate protection against illegal migration.
“This latest information is a serious worry.
“EU partners like Germany must do much more to stop the flow.
“Encouraging people to come to Germany and then not processing them there shows an absence of planning and a lack of care.”
A Home Office spokesman said: “We work with a range of domestic, European and international partners to develop a detailed picture of the routes being used by migrants attempting to enter the UK illegally.
“Where a credible threat is identified, we will take joint action.”